Even if you are confident with towing a van on the road, venturing on the beaten path can be a whole new experience. That is why Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers have put together our offroad hybrid camper towing tips.
12 Tips for Getting Off-road
Being prepared is one of the most important things to remember before you head off on your next adventure. Note the 12 tips below to ensure that your off-road journey is a smooth one without any bumps along the way.
- Ensure your tow vehicle and camper are currently set up, balanced, level and appropriate for each other.
- Reverse and turn slowly, take your time. Practice makes perfect. Practice in car parks, watch your hitch and be careful not to jack knife your trailer. Take short weekenders before setting off on your dream holiday.
- Check your towing speed, as some vehicles have a recommended or maximum towing speed in the owner’s manual.
- Clean and service your camper or caravan before and after each trip. Wheel bearings, hubs, tyres, and all working parts should be checked, cleaned and maintained.
- Don’t overload your trailer. Keep it within its own GVM and that of the tow tugs towing limits.
- Fill up your water tank before leaving home because it will help keep a low canter of gravity.
- Check your wheel nuts and tyre pressure on all tyres (including the spare) before setting off. Lower your tyre pressures to suit the road conditions.
- At all times maintain safe driving speeds and drive to the conditions of the road – not to the comfort of your car.
- On isolated roads and desert trips, ensure you have adequate supplies of provisions (fuel, food, water etc).
- Driving across corrugations and unsealed roads requires patience and experience. Inexperienced off-roaders are advised to partake in an off-road driving course.
- Check all latches are secure before setting off.
- Compile a comprehensive hitch up checklist and use it every time.
Off-Road Hybrid Camper Towing Tips
Jawa Camper Trailers are the number 1 choice for hundreds of families in Queensland and all around Australia. We build products we stand behind and with thousands of kilometres travelled across some of the most rugged roads in Australia, we are ready to find you the camper that will get you where you are going!
When travelling with a camper, you don’t want to be held back by the terrain. Jawa Camper Trailers combine quality components with great designs and outstanding features to make your trip enjoyable.