Knowing how to clean your camper trailer after a trip is essential for the longevity and upkeep of the vehicle.
Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers have all the expertise and knowledge to assist with maintaining your camper and in this blog we talk about the 6 cleaning steps to be done after you arrive home from holidays.
Steps to Cleaning Your Camper After You Arrive Home
After the holiday is finished and you’ve arrived back at home, below are 6 simple steps to cleaning your camper to ensure it is in the best condition ready for your next adventure.
- Remove all your clothes and bedding and put them in the wash.
- Empty the fridge and any food items – you don’t want to be finding mouldy bread in three months’ time.
- Empty the bins – it’s also a good idea to deodorise them too to keep bad smells away.
- Clean the bathroom thoroughly and make sure you empty the cassette after every trip no matter how full it is.
- Air everything out and never pack anything away damp as it’s guaranteed to get mouldy.
- Wash the camper trailer well all over – the chassis needs to be washed to remove any saltwater and the canvas needs to be dried out.
Recommended Products for Cleaning
It’s not necessary to have your camper trailer professionally cleaned if you do a complete job and use the right materials. Some of the products we suggest include;
- Salt Assault – Neutralises the salt so that it can’t form the compounds needed to form rust. Wash the trailer top to bottom, apply salt neutraliser before you hit the sand, let dry, then do all the post-trip cleaning, salt neutraliser, and touch-up of surface.
- Paint Protector – When looking for a product, make sure it protects your paint against UV rays, acid rain, insect residue, road salt and bird droppings. A good paint protector will provide a very strong barrier between the elements and the paint surface. This barrier should provide a long-lasting shine and reduce surface friction which can help with protection against surface marks from frequent washing
- Cold Gal Spray – Always carry a tin of Cold Gal spray and use whenever you scratch your paintwork or hot dip chassis—even if your galvanised chassis is scratched off-road this will compromise the galvanizing and it could lead to rust so protect the damage with cold Gal spray as soon as possible.
Washing Your Trailer
It is imperative you get rid of any sand which may sit inside the chassis rails and in any joins in the under body, particularly behind seals and places it can get trapped. Get under the trailer and clean it very thoroughly for an hour or so. Let it dry and then r- coat everything with your choice of protector.
It is a preferable idea to wash your trailer in a cool shady spot or in the sunshine of a mild to warm day, rather than a 40 plus degree day and directly under the sun. If your trailer is very hot to touch, then good chance the water droplets will evaporate or boil quickly and cause streaking and water spots. These water stains in the paintwork can be quite tough to remove so prevention is better.
If you’ve driven through mud and slosh, then a tyre cleaner is important. There are products on the market that can be sprayed or brushed onto your muddy tyres and then simply hosed off to reveal brand new looking tyres.
These applications can also provide a protective barrier so mud and dirt will not stick as easily to your tyres or mud flaps.
Cleaning the Stabiliser Legs
To clean the stabiliser legs, remove the black ends and degrease the entire thing.
Inside there is a bush which winds up and down. Use a degreaser to wash the sand out. Then spray with CRC, clean it and re grease it before putting the covers back on.
Cleaning Your Camper Trailer After a Trip
It is important to make sure you look after your beloved camper trailer when you get home from a trip to ensure its longevity. If you’d like some advice on the cleaning and maintenance of your camper trailer, give Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers a call on 07 5479 6844 or contact us online here.
Jawa Camper Trailers are the number 1 choice for hundreds of families in Queensland and all around Australia. We build products we stand behind and with thousands of kilometres travelled across some of the most rugged roads in Australia, we are ready to find you the camper that will get you where you are going!
When travelling with a camper, you don’t want to be held back by the terrain. Jawa Camper Trailers combine quality components with great designs and outstanding features to make your trip enjoyable.