Maintaining the high quality of your camper is important which is why we have outlined the best cleaning products to use on your hybrid camper.
At Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers, we encourage you to get off road and dirty – that’s what our campers are designed for but it’s important to make sure they are cleaned properly after every trip.
Products we Recommend
Below is a list of products the team at Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers recommend which can help keep your hybrid camper spick and span and stand the test of time.
- Salt Assault – Neutralises the salt so it can’t form the compounds needed to make rust. Wash trailer top to bottom then apply a salt neutraliser before you hit the sand. Let it dry. After you return from a trip also apply to avoid rust forming.
- Water Based – Some products that are water-based work by converting rust to a stable black surface of Iron Tannate/Haematite (Fe2O3) and Magnetite (Fe3O4). It basically converts rust to a stable, non-growing material, which is black in appearance. Being a water-based product, it acts as a travelling agent for the tannin chemicals to penetrate the porous rust. It’s also claimed to work more efficiently because it works through the rust and not just on the surface as some other products do.
- Oil or Solvent Based – The popular WD-40 is a common example of this type of product. They are generally used for lubrication and rust prevention by leaving a light oily protective film on the surface. Lanolin spray is also a great alternative.
- Penetrol – Penetrol is a penetrating clear rust lacquer to spray in the chassis rails, over the suspension, all the bolts, the gaps in the body work, particularly in the under-door sill and in the door drain holes. It is thin and soaks into all small gaps, even threads of bolts, to stop them rusting.
- Lanolin Based – Lanolin is a natural greasy yellow substance derived from wool-bearing animals. It is commonly used in skin ointments and shoe polish because it acts as a water proofing agent. Many people have reported that lanolin-based products can provide a very adequate protection barrier against rust.
- Wax Based – These products are used by car manufacturers and are applied through small holes which are later sealed. This product is usually sprayed under pressure and can penetrate seams and cavities to provide a protective barrier which seals out air, moisture, salt and dust. Wax based products are usually clean and odourless and can also acts as a rust neutraliser.
Washing Your Trailer
It is imperative you get rid of any sand which may sit inside the chassis rails and in any joins in the under body, particularly behind seals and places it can get trapped.
Get wet! Get under the trailer and clean it very thoroughly. Then, let it dry and re-coat everything with your choice of protector.
It is preferable to wash your trailer in a cool shady spot or in the sunshine of a mild to warm day, rather than a 40 plus degree day and directly under the sun. If your trailer is very hot to touch, there’s a good chance the water droplets will evaporate or boil quickly and cause streaking and water spots.
These water stains in the paintwork can be quite tough to remove, so prevention is better.
A good paint protector will provide a very strong barrier between the elements and the paint surface.
This barrier should provide a long-lasting shine and reduce surface friction, which can help with protection against surface marks from frequent washing.
When looking for a product, make sure it protects your paint against UV rays, acid rain, insect residue, road salt and bird droppings.
Cold Gal Spray
Always carry a tin of cold gal spray and use whenever you scratch your paintwork or hot dip chassis.
Even if your galvanised chassis is scratched off-road this will compromise the protective zinc coating and it could lead to rust, so protect the damage with the spray as soon as possible.
Cleaning Products to Use on Your Hybrid Camper
The team at Jawa Offroad Camper Trailers thinks there are many cleaning products which could help keep your hybrid camper spick and span and lasting longer.
Jawa Camper Trailers are the number 1 choice for hundreds of families in Queensland and all around Australia. We build products we stand behind and with thousands of kilometres travelled across some of the most rugged roads in Australia, we are ready to find you the camper that will get you where you are going!
When travelling with a camper, you don’t want to be held back by the terrain. Jawa Camper Trailers combine quality components with great designs and outstanding features to make your trip enjoyable.